Monday, September 13, 2010

Rwanda, final post (April 4-7)

April 4, 2010; 1.49 CST
Didn’t win against the Zune.  Oh well. 

It is Easter almost all over the world!  That is nice to think about.

I have finished packing and am only waiting for the mini-scale in order to double-check that I am below the weight limit.  I’m pretty sure I am, even though it was difficult because of the size of a couple things – my duffel bag was really light because it was mostly filled by one big light thing, so almost everything else was in my suitcase.  I think it would have been a little bit over the weight limit if I had not managed to work more back into the duffel bag.

Writing down flights and customs stuff.  Just waiting.  It’s nine o’clock here now; we leave in a couple hours.

April 5, 2010; 7.16 CST
Sitting on the plane heading to Toronto – I believe we’re more than halfway there.  Filling out my Customs declaration card.  Wish I knew the exchange rates from USD to CAD and from pounds to CAD.  Since I don’t I can only estimate ...

Saying goodbye was not difficult in some ways, but was difficult in others.  It was somewhat difficult to say goodbye to Justine (she came to say goodbye to us!  It was nice of her – and I could give her my extra 5000 Rwf!), but it is good to be going home.

I am somewhat sad because I am not in a window seat but an aisle seat, and so cannot see the Atlantic.  Also it is cloudy so it would be hard to see anyway.  Oh well, that just means I have to come back.

I got to talk to John very briefly in Nairobi airport – I only realized after supper (so around nine o’clock PM Nairobi time) that the lounge we were in had Wifi too, and then people wanted to send emails.  I let them do that but managed maybe five minutes of chat.  I get to see him in seven hours, hooray!  I am looking forward to that.

I just finished watching Sherlock Holmes.  Not bad.  Not quite my Holmes, but an interesting Holmes.  Now I want to reread the stories.  Unfortunately do not have them with me.  Think I will watch another film.  Maybe The Young Victoria or The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.  Depends on how much time I have.  If neither, I may play games.

April 7, 2010; 18.25 CST
I have been home for two days now, but it doesn’t feel like it.  I am feeling very confused and very lost and don’t know what to do with myself.  I have not been back to school apart from for my English test on Tuesday.  I am very jet-lagged but I have not been sleeping ... John was here until today, and I very much appreciated him being here, but I did not notice how clingy I was getting and eventually I hurt him ...  I am so screwed up and not thinking straight.  Nothing seems to have a point.  John makes sense and I almost feel ashamed that he is the one point that seems to make sense right now.  




And that's all she wrote.  It took me a couple weeks to get readjusted to Western life, and I'm still not quite the same (which is to be expected, I suppose).  I am now attending university, and I stay in touch with and others that I met in Rwanda.  I want to go back someday, both to work more, and to simply enjoy the beauty of the country.  Sooner than later, I will finally post an album of all my Rwanda photos, and I will post the link here when that happens.  

Thank you for reading this very-late account (that seems to be how I do a lot of things, actually) of my trip to Rwanda.  I hope you enjoyed it, or were touched by it, or were changed by it.  (I am breaking every public-speaking rule with this conclusion.)  May God be with you as He is with the Rwandans.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment