Thursday, August 10, 2017

opera summer 2017, #6

Alright, catching up over the last couple days ...

Day 17 (Monday evening, Suor): we started by going over all the rough spots and solidifying them.  The spot I needed to work on the most was the food props, making sure I gave them weight.  I'm finding it tough, especially moving them quickly enough to use them all as I need to.  I am going to practice with things at home that weigh about as much as the actual food in question would, then switch to a lighter container and try to keep the same feel.  After working on those rough spots, we took a short break and then did the full run, which went well.  Feeling like it's in a good place.

Day 18 (Wednesday afternoon, coaching): this went extremely well.  Romeo and I are really starting to click, and we got a lot working right.  we focused on breathing together, actually hearing each other (not just hearing the music and counting), and the subtext of the music, and letting all that effect us.  We're both nearly off-book and really responding well to each other.  I'm seriously looking forward to putting this on its feet, and especially getting to do it with orchestra.  (Also found out that this is a gowns and suits night.  I'm always stoked to get to wear a gown. :D)  After the coaching, I went to get pictures taken for the programs - one standard headshot, and one headshot in my Suor costume.  First time I got to see and put on my costume!

Day 18 (Wednesday evening, Suor): Sitzprobe! This was neat.  I don't think I've ever really done a proper Sitzprobe before - usually we've been short on time and so it's had to be a Wandleprobe.  The point of the Sitz is to let the orchestra hear what we're supposed to sound like in a controlled environment, before we all start walking around and not looking at the conductor, etc etc.  (Especially in this case, where the orchestra and conductor are both behind us.)  It went well on the whole: a few bits were awkward and we had to re-do them, and the finale will be very interesting once we add the distance in (we're singing from the back of the church).  It is also always interesting to me working with an orchestra instead of a piano - the conducting always feels like it's a little bit different.  I really liked having the opportunity to feel it out without having to think about movement.

Tonight is the Idomeneo Sitzprobe, with an hour at the top of the evening to go over the chorus staging again.  I'm glad we've got the hour - I feel like we probably need it.  I know I do.  Then tomorrow night we have a full run of Idomeneo, and Saturday night is the Suor Wandleprobe.  First time in the space - it'll be interesting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment